Yukon IEHP logo Find Your Place in
Yukon's Healthcare Workforce

Foreign Qualification Recognition

Regulated Health Professions

Regulated Health Professions

Registered Nurses


Licensing Information

Before you can work as a Registered Nurse (RN) in Yukon, you need to get a licence from the Yukon Registered Nurses Association.

The Yukon Registered Nurses Association (YRNA) is the regulatory authority and professional association for Registered Nurses in Yukon.

YRNA assists internationally educated nurses through the Canadian registration process. This short video talks about becoming a Registered Nurse in Yukon:

YRNA requires that a Registered Nurse is either registered or eligible to be registered in another jurisdiction in Canada prior to being registered in Yukon. While you may choose to work with any RN regulator in Canada to achieve this prerequisite, below are links to the regulatory authorities in Alberta and British Columbia for further information about becoming eligible to be registered in their jurisdiction:

Contact information for all RN regulatory authorities is available on the website of the Canadian Council of Registered Nurse Regulators.


Registered nursing is governed by the following laws:

In addition, Yukon RNs need to follow the Standards of Practice developed by YRNA. They can also be accessed at http://yrna.ca/.

Qualification Recognition

Initial registration in Yukon is based, in part, on confirmation that an applicant is entitled to practise as a Registered Nurse in another Canadian jurisdiction.

To get your qualifications assessed, please apply to the National Nursing Assessment Service (NNAS) at www.nnas.ca. The NNAS application process is intended to produce an Advisory Report that contains an evaluation of your education according to approved Canadian standards and compares your education to current Canadian nursing requirements for entry into practice. The report also contains detailed information about your registration/licensing, nursing practice, employment and results of any required language testing. With the NNAS Advisory Report in hand you can then apply to one of the provincial regulators listed on the website of the Canadian Council of Registered Nurse Regulators at www.ccrnr.ca.

The pathway map to recognition provides an overview of the licensing process in Yukon.

The Self Assessment Readiness Tool is an online tool that provides you with an indication of whether you are likely to meet requirements to practise in a Canadian context, and what that looks like. It is a self-assessment of employer-identified core skills and technical competencies, which will assist you in making informed career decisions. The tool is not intended to provide a technical assessment of competency, but simply provides a snapshot of the professional life of a Registered Nurse in a Canadian healthcare setting.

National Entry-to-Practice Exam

Every applicant needs to pass a national entry-to-practice exam before they can get registered as an RN. The exam is used to test entry-level nursing competence. Internationally educated nurses first need to get approval from one of the Canadian provincial RN regulators before they can register for the exam.

A new RN entry-to-practice exam called the “NCLEX-RN” was introduced in 2015. More information about it is available on the website of the Canadian Council of Registered Nurse Regulators and on the websites of the provincial RN regulators.

Contact information for the RN regulators is available on the website of the Canadian Council of Registered Nurse Regulators.

NCLEX-RN exam information including a practice test can be found on the website of the National Council of State Boards of Nursing.

Bridging Programs

A bridging program is a program that introduces you to the practice of registered nursing in Canada and helps you prepare for the entry-to-practice exam and for the work as a Registered Nurse in Canada.

Whether or not you need to take a bridging program or certain courses will be determined during the assessment of your qualifications.

Bridging programs are offered at several nursing schools. This is just a small selection:

Language Proficiency

An overview of the language requirements is available on the website of the Yukon Registered Nurses Association.

For more details, please contact YRNA directly at yrna.ca/.

Related Careers

If becoming a Registered Nurse is not an option, you could pursue licensure as a Licensed Practical Nurse.