Yukon IEHP logo Find Your Place in
Yukon's Healthcare Workforce

Foreign Qualification Recognition

Regulated Health Professions

Regulated Health Professions

Registered Psychiatric Nurses


Licensing Information

Before you can work as a Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN) in Yukon, you need to get a licence from the Government of Yukon.

The Government of Yukon’s Professional Licensing & Regulatory Affairs Branch in the Department of Community Services is the regulatory authority for Registered Psychiatric Nurses in Yukon (“the Yukon regulator”). Their website can be accessed by visiting www.community.gov.yk.ca/rpn/. It details the steps an Internationally Educated Nurse (IEN) needs to take to become licensed in Yukon as a Registered Psychiatric Nurse.

Please review the information under Qualification Recognition and National Entry-to-Practice Exam before contacting the regulator.

Contact information for the Yukon regulator is:

RPN Registrar’s Office
Attn. Licensing Officer
Professional Licensing & Regulatory Affairs Branch
Department of Community Services
Government of Yukon
P.O. Box 2703, C-5
Whitehorse YT   Y1A 2C6   Canada

Phone : 867-667-5111
Fax : 867-667-3609
Email :  plra@gov.yk.ca 
Website:  www.community.gov.yk.ca/rpn/


Psychiatric nursing is governed by the following laws:

The RPN Regulation states that Yukon RPNs shall follow the Code of Ethics & Standards of Practice of the College of Registered Psychiatric Nurses of Manitoba (“the Manitoba regulator”). These documents can be found at www.crpnm.mb.ca.

The Competency Profile for the Profession of Registered Psychiatric Nurses in Canada developed by the Registered Psychiatric Nurses of Canada regulators is also in force.

Qualification Recognition

Yukon relies on the regulatory authorities of larger Canadian jurisdictions to determine if the qualifications of an internationally educated nurse are equivalent to the Canadian education of Registered Psychiatric Nurses. Please contact the regulatory body either in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba for your qualifications to be assessed. These are currently the only four provinces in Canada which specifically license psychiatric nurses.

You can find the pertinent application information for each of these four regulatory authorities on the following websites:

The pathway map to recognition provides an overview of the licensing process in Yukon.

National Entry-to-Practice Exam

Every applicant needs to pass the national licensing exam called the “Registered Psychiatric Nurses of Canada Examination” or RPNCE.

More information about this exam can be found on the websites of the four provincial regulators:

Bridging Programs

A bridging program is a program that helps you prepare for the national licensing exam and for work in psychiatric nursing in Canada by addressing any gaps of knowledge or experience you may have.

Whether or not you need to take a bridging program or certain courses will be determined by the regulatory body in a larger jurisdiction that assesses your qualification.

Bridging programs may be offered at the nursing schools listed on the website of the Registered Psychiatric Nurses of Canada. Please contact the schools directly to inquire about bridging programs.

Language Proficiency

All provincial nursing regulators agreed on the following language proficiency: requirements:

If English is your first and primary language, you do not need to take language testing. English is your first and primary language if it is the language you learned at home in childhood and it is the language you primarily use for reading, writing, listening and speaking.

If English is not your first and primary language, you must demonstrate English language competence by:

  • Completing one of the two approved English language proficiency tests and achieving the required passing scores.
  • Providing evidence of successful completion within the past two years of an approved Canadian nursing education program taught in English
  • Providing evidence of successful completion of an approved Canadian nursing education program taught in English and work experience for the past two years in a health care environment as a nurse where the primary language for providing service was English.

Only the following two English language proficiency tests are accepted:

  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS) - Academic Version
  • Canadian English Language Benchmarks Assessment for Nurses (CELBAN)

The minimum scores are listed below:

Canadian English Language Benchmark Assessment for Nurses

Speaking 8.0
Listening 10.0
Reading 8.0
Writing 7.0

International English Language Testing System (Academic Version)

Speaking 7.0
Listening 7.5
Reading 6.5
Writing 7.0
Overall 7.0

The above scores take the Standard Error of Measurement (SEM) into consideration.

  • Ensure the testing agency sends the official test scores directly to the Licensing Officer at
    Professional Licensing & Regulatory Affairs Branch, P.O. Box 2703 C-5, Whitehorse, YT, Y1A 2C6, Canada.
  • Test scores are valid for 2 years after the exam.
  • The language proficiency requirement must be met prior to your application being evaluated and processed and the test results need to be valid during the entire application process until the time of full registration.
  • Applicants are not allowed to mix and match components from different tests (nor from different sittings of the same test) to achieve a passing score.

Related Careers

If becoming a Registered Psychiatric Nurse is not an option, you could pursue licensure as a Registered Nurse or a Licensed Practical Nurse.