Yukon IEHP logo Find Your Place in
Yukon's Healthcare Workforce

Foreign Qualification Recognition

Regulated Health Professions

Regulated Health Professions



Licensing Information

Before you can work as a Physiotherapist in Yukon, you need to get a licence from the Government of Yukon.

The Government of Yukon’s Professional Licensing & Regulatory Affairs Branch in the Department of Community Services is the regulatory authority for Physiotherapists in Yukon (“the Yukon Regulator”). Their website can be accessed by visiting www.community.gov.yk.ca/physiotherapists/.

Please review the information under Qualification Recognition and National Entry-to-Practice Exam before contacting the regulator.

Contact information for the Yukon regulator is:

Office of the Registrar of Physiotherapists
Attn. Licensing Officer
Professional Licensing & Regulatory Affairs Branch
Department of Community Services
Government of Yukon
P.O. Box 2703, C-5
Whitehorse YT   Y1A 2C6   Canada

Phone : 867-667-5111
Fax : 867-667-3609
Email :  plra@gov.yk.ca 
Website:  www.community.gov.yk.ca/physiotherapists/


Physiotherapy is governed by the following laws:

The Physiotherapists Regulation states that Yukon Physiotherapists shall follow the Code of Ethics and the Clinical Practice Statements of the College of Physical Therapists of British Columbia (“the BC regulator”). These documents can be found at http://cptbc.org/.

“Clinical practice statement” means a statement that outlines generally acceptable practices that have been approved by the Registrar and includes the Standards of Practice and the Essential Competency Profile for Physiotherapists in Canada posted on the website of the BC regulator.

Qualification Recognition

The assessment of educational credentials and qualifications (credentialling) is conducted by the Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators (CAPR). Information about this process can be found on their website at http://www.alliancept.org/becoming-credentialled/.

Please apply directly to CAPR to get your qualifications assessed.

The Self Assessment Readiness Tool for Physiotherapists and Physiotherapist Assistants are online tools that provide you with an indication of whether you are likely to meet requirements to practise in a Canadian context, and what that looks like. It is a self-assessment of employer-identified core skills and technical competencies, which will assist you in making informed career decisions. These tools are not intended to provide a technical assessment of competency, but simply provide a snapshot of the professional life of a Physiotherapist and a Physiotherapist Assistant in a Canadian healthcare setting. Physiotherapist Assistants do not need a licence to work in Yukon.

National Entry-to-Practice Exam

Every applicant needs to pass the national competency exam called the “Physiotherapy Competency Exam” or PCE. This exam is administered by the Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators.

Information about it can be found on their website at http://www.alliancept.org/.

The PCE includes a written and a clinical component. Once you have passed the written component you can apply to the Yukon regulator for a limited licence which allows you to practise physiotherapy under supervision by a fully licensed Yukon physiotherapist.

Exam Skills Preparation Workshops are now offered through the University of Toronto.

The pathway map to recognition provides an overview of the licensing process in Yukon.

Bridging Programs

A bridging program is a program that helps you prepare for the national competency exam and for work in physiotherapy in Canada by addressing any gaps of knowledge or experience you may have.

There are currently two bridging programs offered in Canada:

  1. The Alberta Internationally Educated Physiotherapists Bridging (AIEPB) Program at the University of Alberta. There is also a shorter online course available called “Physiotherapy Practice in the Canadian Healthcare System”.
  2. The Ontario Internationally Educated Physiotherapists Bridging Program (OIEPB) offered at the University of Toronto.

Language Proficiency

You must speak French or English to become a physical therapist in Canada. Language fluency is evaluated by the Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators as part of the credentialling assessment. Please visit http://www.alliancept.org/becoming-credentialled/credentialling-policies/language-proficiency-policy/ to access the Credentialling Policies for more information regarding their Language Proficiency Policy.

Before arranging to complete a language test, contact the Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators FIRST for more information on language requirements.

Related Careers

If becoming a Physiotherapist is not an option, you could pursue a career as a Physiotherapy Assistant. This is an unregulated profession and job offerings are posted on the Government of Yukon website or on the website of the Yukon Hospital Corporation.