Yukon IEHP logo Find Your Place in
Yukon's Healthcare Workforce

Foreign Qualification Recognition

Regulated Health Professions

Regulated Health Professions

Physicians / Medical Practitioners


Licensing Information

Physicians are also called medical practitioners. The term “medical” refers to “medicine” and no other health professions may use it in its name.

The Professional Licensing & Regulatory Affairs Branch of Community Services licenses physicians in Yukon and the Yukon Medical Council makes decisions about physician licensing requirements, quality of care and competency of physicians.

Please review the information under Qualification Recognition and National Entry-to-Practice Exams before contacting the regulator.

Contact information for the Yukon medical regulatory authority is:

Coordinator, Yukon Medical Council
Professional Licensing & Regulatory Affairs Branch
Department of Community Services
Government of Yukon
P.O. Box 2703, C-18
Whitehorse YT   Y1A 2C6   Canada

Phone: 867-667-3774
Fax: 867-393-6483
Email: ymc@gov.yk.ca
Website: Yukon Medical Council


Medicine is governed by the following laws:

Qualification Recognition

The pathway map to recognition provides an overview of the licensing process in Yukon.

International medical graduates (IMGs) looking to begin the process of obtaining a licence to practise medicine in Canada should start by visiting the website of the Medical Council of Canada (MCC) for detailed information about the qualification recognition process.

National Entry-to-Practice Exams

There is a series of exams that an international medical graduate (IMG) will need to take. They are administered by the Medical Council of Canada (MCC). Please visit their website at http://mcc.ca/home/ to get more information about the three exams that constitute the Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada (LMCC) and need to be taken in sequence:

  • Medical Council of Canada (MCC) Evaluating Examination (MCCEE)
  • MCC Qualifying Examination Part I (MCCQE Part I)
  • MCC Qualifying Examination Part II (MCCQE II)

Once these exams have been successfully completed, there may be an opportunity to acquire a limited licence for family physicians. Please contact the Yukon Medical Council for the most current information.

For a full licence the following two exams need to be successfully completed:

Bridging Programs

A bridging program is a program that is designed to bridge the gap between the knowledge and skills that international medical graduates (IMGs) already possess and the knowledge and skills they need to become practice-ready in a Canadian medical environment.

Bridging programs and exam preparation courses are offered at several institutions. This is just a small selection:

The Medical Council of Canada (MCC) launched a Communication and Cultural Competence orientation program that provides physicians with comprehensive information about Canadian medical practice, and in particular the communication skills and cultural competencies required for patient-centered care.

The program includes a Communication Skills Module and case studies covering topics such as mental health, cross-cultural communication, intraprofessional teamwork and Aboriginal health.

Language Proficiency

The Yukon Medical Council requires that an international medical graduate (IMG) “is reasonably able to speak, read and write in either French or English”. Your language abilities will be assessed during your licensing interview.

Please note that most other jurisdictions require that you demonstrate English proficiency with:

  • TOEFL iBT with a result of 96, with 24 or higher in each section; or
  • Academic IELTS, with a minimum of 7.0 in each component

unless your medical education was instructed in English and the primary language for patient care was English and the first and native language of the country where you were trained is English.

Related Careers

Pursue a career that uses your medical / health knowledge but doesn’t require licensure as a physician, e.g. as a health researcher, policy analyst or case worker for a social service agency.