Yukon IEHP logo Find Your Place in
Yukon's Healthcare Workforce

Foreign Qualification Recognition

Regulated Health Professions

Regulated Health Professions



Licensing Information

Before you can work as an Optometrist in Yukon, you need to get a licence from the Government of Yukon.

The Government of Yukon’s Professional Licensing & Regulatory Affairs Branch in the Department of Community Services is the regulatory authority for Optometrists in Yukon. Their website can be accessed by visiting www.community.gov.yk.ca/optometrists/.

Please review the information under Qualification Recognition and National Entry-to-Practice Exam before contacting the regulator.

Contact information for the Yukon regulator is:

Office of the Registrar of Optometrists
Attn. Licensing Officer
Professional Licensing & Regulatory Affairs Branch
Department of Community Services
Government of Yukon
P.O. Box 2703, C-5
Whitehorse YT   Y1A 2C6   Canada

Phone : 867-667-5111
Fax : 867-667-3609
Email :  plra@gov.yk.ca 
Website:  www.community.gov.yk.ca/optometrists/


Optometry is governed by the following laws:

Yukon Optometrists Act

Yukon Optometrists Regulation

Yukon Optometrists Fee Regulation

Qualification Recognition

Have you graduated from an optometric program accredited by the Accreditation Council on Optometric Education (ACOE)? The ACOE directories of accredited programs list all accredited professional optometric degree (O.D.) programs. If yours is on this list you may apply directly to the Canadian Examiners in Optometry to take the entry-to-practice exam.

If you graduated from an optometric degree program that is not accredited by the Accreditation Council on Optometric Education (ACOE), you need to follow the process established by the Federation of Optometric Regulatory Authorities of Canada (FORAC). Detailed information is available on their website at http://forac-faroc.ca/.

The pathway map to recognition provides an overview of the licensing process in Yukon.

National Entry-to-Practice Exam

The Canadian Examiners in Optometry assesses the competence of optometrists seeking authorization to practise in Canada using the Canadian Assessment of Competence in Optometry (CACO). Detailed information about this entry-to-practice exam can be found on their website.

Bridging Programs

A bridging program is a program that helps you prepare for the entry-to-practice exam and for the work as an optometrist in Canada by addressing any gaps of knowledge or experience you may have.

Graduates of non-accredited Schools of Optometry (outside of North America) are required to successfully complete the International Optometric Bridging Program (IOBP) at the University of Waterloo before being allowed to challenge the national entry-to-practice exam called “Canadian Assessment of Competence in Optometry” (CACO exam). Please visit the IOBP website for application and course information.

Language Proficiency

Internationally educated graduates are required to successfully complete an English proficiency test. However, an applicant may be exempted from the English language proficiency test if the international optometry-related degree was completed in English.

Internationally educated graduates must achieve the minimum score indicated for any one of the following tests:

  • Canadian Language Benchmark Placement Test – no individual score lower than 8.0. Information about this test can be found at the Centre for Canadian Language Benchmarks.
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic – minimum overall average of 7.5 with no individual score lower than 7.0. Information about the IELTS Academic can be found on their website.
  • CanTest – minimum overall average of 4.5 with no individual score lower than 4.0. Information about the CanTest standardized English proficiency test can be found on the website of the University of Ottawa.

For French language requirements please contact the Ordre des Optométristes du Québec.

Related Careers

If becoming an optometrist is not an option, you could pursue a career as an optician or an optometric assistant. The latter is an unregulated profession and job offerings may be advertised in the local newspapers or on www.yuwin.ca.