Yukon IEHP logo Find Your Place in
Yukon's Healthcare Workforce

Foreign Qualification Recognition

Regulated Health Professions

Regulated Health Professions

Dental Hygienists


Licensing Information

Before you can work as a Dental Hygienist in Yukon, you need to get a licence from the Government of Yukon.

The Government of Yukon’s Professional Licensing & Regulatory Affairs Branch in the Department of Community Services is the regulatory authority for Dental Hygienists in Yukon. Their website can be accessed by visiting www.community.gov.yk.ca/dental/.

Please review the information under Qualification Recognition and National Entry-to-Practice Exam before contacting the regulator.

Contact information for the Yukon regulator is:

Office of the Registrar of Dental Professions
Attn. Licensing Officer
Professional Licensing & Regulatory Affairs Branch
Department of Community Services
Government of Yukon
P.O. Box 2703, C-5
Whitehorse YT   Y1A 2C6   Canada

Phone : 867-667-5111
Fax : 867-667-3609
Email :  plra@gov.yk.ca 
Website:  www.community.gov.yk.ca/dental/


Dental Hygiene is governed by the following laws:

Yukon Dental Profession Act

Yukon Dental Profession Regulation

Qualification Recognition

The National Dental Hygiene Certification Board (NDHCB) assesses international qualifications in order to determine eligibility to write the national entry-to-practice exam called the National Dental Hygiene Certification Examination. In order to be considered for an Assessment of Credentials and Qualifications, any applicant must meet a set of minimum requirements. Please visit their website at http://www.ndhcb.ca/en/exam_eligibility.php to review the assessment process.

The pathway map to recognition provides an overview of the licensing process in Yukon.

National Entry-to-Practice Exam

All dental hygienists need to pass the National Dental Hygiene Certification Examination administered by the National Dental Hygiene Certification Board (NDHCB). Please visit their website at http://www.ndhcb.ca/en/exam_eligibility.php for more information.

Bridging Programs

The University of British Columbia (UBC) offers an International Degree Completion Program for qualified dental hygienists who have a dental hygiene diploma/certificate from a dental hygiene program outside North America. For more information please visit UBC’s website at http://www.dentistry.ubc.ca/Education/Hygiene/international/.

Language Proficiency

You are expected to have reasonable fluency in either English or French to become a Dental Hygienist in Canada. Language fluency is evaluated by Citizenship and Immigration Canada when you apply for immigration. Please visit their website at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/language-testing.asp for more information.

Related Careers

If becoming a dental hygienist is not an option, you could pursue a career as a dental assistant. This is an unregulated profession in Yukon and job offerings may be advertised in the local newspapers or on www.yuwin.ca.

For general information about dental assistants go to the website of the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials.